Sunday 9 December 2018

Interview with Staffordshire Live

I was delighted to be asked by Staffordshire Live what I thought of the portrayal of Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians, in the TV series, The Last Kingdom and, more to the point, what she would have thought!

Here's the link to the piece:

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/local-news/regal-loyal-deadly-expert-eye-2302643




My thanks to Josh Layton who patiently listened while I rabbited on about my favourite subject and then turned my ramblings into such a wonderful article!

4 comments:

  1. It's a shame The Last Kingdom paints Æthelred, Lord of the Mercians, in such a negative way. There really is no evidence for this. He fought many battles against the Vikings and was loyal to King Alfred throughout. He certainly did not manipulate Æthelflæd; she was her own woman from the very beginning, a strong woman, certainly her father's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Frank. Aethelred is a bit of a hero of mine, and as I said in the interview, he was named as being at several key battles. I think Josh summed it up nicely in the article when he said that while Aethelflaed might be quite pleased with her portrayal, Aethelred would be turning in his grave!

      Delete
  2. That's a good interview. I hope it gets lots of readers.

    ReplyDelete