The Story So Far ...

Thursday, 2 June 2016

WEAR BRIGHT COLOURS FOR ME - Thea Hartley

Thea Hartley is on a blog tour and she's stopped by on mine today. Over to you, Thea ...

I HAVE BEEN FASCINATED WITH THE IDEA OF REINCARNATION FOR MANY YEARS. IN FACT, I HAVE READ ARTICLES AND BOOKS AND INTERVIEWED PEOPLE WHO CLAIMED TO HAVE LIVED BEFORE. .

I have also written a few books which required a great deal of historical research. A biography about my grandfather, was researched in depth, covering the period 1900- 1945, and Volume 2  led me to research social history from 1945-1962. I have also written a book set during WW2 "Thicker Than Blood" which required searching archives and war records. 



I have always enjoyed research, and having an interest in history, I have looked at old documents and archives of various historical periods. 
I discovered, writing my previous books, that I really enjoyed immersing myself in the lives of people from different historical periods. All this fitted in to my ideas about a fictional novel, with reincarnation as the pivot to the story. 
Carefully, I researched four historical periods and cultures: 

African Slaves in Rome in 10BC
Elizabethan England at Windsor Castle during the Black Plague. 
Immigrant gypsy tribes settling in Frome, Somerset, during the Victorian period 
Small town or village life during World War Two. 

This looked like a formidable task. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved finding hitherto unknown ( to me) facts relating to these historical periods. 

I used many reference books and articles, soon discovering a particular 'Akan' tribe who had been taken by the Romans, I wrote about their lives, culture and the traditions of both the tribe and their Roman masters. 
Elizabethan England had always been a favourite of mine. I described Elizabeth 1st coronation as written in the history books, including first hand reports.  The plague, Elizabeth's fears and subsequent isolation of the court in Windsor Castle was ideal for my plot. Including the gallows erected to hang anyone who could be associated with the disease. 

The gypsy tribes were fascinating. I found descriptions of their finely painted 'Vardos' and traditions for betrothal and marriage, which fitted perfectly with my story.
The WW2 research I had already carried out for other books. However I was now able to use my knowledge of ammunition factories to describe my characters life as a woman working in one during the war, whilst the man she loved was a fighter pilot in the American forces and based near the factory. This was based on the true locations of Glascoed munitions and the GI base in nearby Abergavenny. 

My book differs from other 'time slip' tales because each 'life'  is an historical story within itself. Every time the characters arrive in a different historical period, the place and the situation is totally accurate and presented with a descriptive narrative.  I even ensured that I had the correct accents and slang words for the time. The strange and humourous  insults of the Elizabethans was somewhat difficult to 'fit' at times. 
In Wear Bright Colours For Me, the reader has a paranormal story of reincarnation, interwoven with historical fiction which is accurate in its portrayal. Events are exactly how they occurred and the sanctions and mores of that society, carefully written. 
Many scenes were checked and double checked for accuracy in order to produce a truly interesting, accurate, book. 

I think that lovers of both historical novels and 'time travelling' will find Wear Bright Colours a really great read. 



Links: 

Wear Bright Colours

Facebook

Twitter

Website




No comments:

Post a Comment