The Story So Far ...

Sunday, 22 May 2016

Christmas Lights and Easter Bunnies - Leah Brown gets inspired ...

I recently became aware of a promising new author and when I read all about her work I knew I had to interview her. It's rare for me to be able to welcome a guest like this, so today I am delighted to have as my guest Leah Brown ~


I began by asking her: ~

How old you were when you first started writing?


I was probably about 5 years old when I started school. I just did picture books not writing books to start with. My first book was called The Rainbow Girl. When I started school I joined the Rainbows, think that’s what gave me the idea for my book. It was a long time ago as I’m 9 now it’s hard to remember.

Some of the lovely pictures and book covers that Leah sent me

Where do you get your ideas from - do they just come into your head, or do you get inspired by things you see/hear/learn about at school?

All of these but mainly my ideas just come into my head. I have lots of imagination. I write about things that happen or want to happen in my life. I love magical and mythical things.

Where do you normally do your writing - at home, or at school?

Both the same. The book you saw I wrote at school but the teacher just told us what it was meant to be about . I wrote all the detail. I have a desk in my house to write. Sometimes I write in my garden.

How many books have you written, and can you tell us a little bit about them?

I have written lots of books but most are a bit childish to tell you about. I am getting better now I’m a bit older. I wrote one about a Magic flower that was fun as she did so many fun things a normal flower wouldn’t do. I like using my photographs as my covers because I love taking selfies.


What are you working on at the moment?


I am working on Easter bunny adventure. It’s about a little girl and boy and they find the Easter bunny and go with them every Easter to deliver the Easter eggs. They are my little sister Freya and big brother Jamie.


What are some of the favourite books that you've read, and what did you like about them? 


Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson. It’s about a girl and her dad keeps hitting her and her mum so they run away from their dad and start a new life in London. I love that author.


Do you hope to be a writer when you leave school, or is there something else that you'd like to do?

I would like to be an Author but for a part time job I would like to be a chef. My dad likes cooking, my Auntie Margo can't cook she burns everything.


Leah has wonderfully supportive family members, which as all authors know, is very important. Unfortunately, as yet, she doesn't have any links to a website or to buy her books, but here instead is an author profile:


and a sample of her work:


Thank you so much Leah - wishing you success in your writing career.


13 comments:

  1. Fantastic. Well done Leah and I wish you much success. You are a talent no doubt. Perhaps Mum and Dad will put up a FB page for you with strict over-sight. I love to see youngsters like you being so creative and so young. Recently my grand-daughter, aged 9 in November, write and read a story she'd written. I was blown away. I hope everyone is blown away by you. I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jane Risdon for taking the time to comment. Your grandaugher and Leah appear similiar. Think its amazing how imaginative they can be at that age. Writers like yourself are a great encouragement for young children. Itr makes reading fun . Thanks again xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! I love the idea of the magic flower. Keep writing - you've already found out that the more you write the better you get. One day you'll be published. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Kath that is so kind of you to comment. Leah sees everything through fantasy glasses i think. You fantastic writers are insiring her. Thanks again x

      Delete
  3. What a talented young lady! Please let us know when we can get your books on Amazon or at our book stores! Keep writing. I see a fabulous career in your future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Terry for taking the time to comment. Leah said she will let you know when she gets published, confident eh. Thanks again Terry x

      Delete
  4. Brilliant! Well done,Leah.
    Keep on writing those fabulous stories, my lovely. Oh, and keep on reading, too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Nicola she is such a Diva, lving the attention. Thanks for taking the time to comment , thats kind. Leah commented you were the lady she said looked a lovely mum before. She did. Thanks xx

      Delete
    2. What a sweetheart! Give her a big hug from me. xxx

      Delete
  5. Thank you Annie Whitehead for taking the time to inspire and support Leah. You have been fantastic with her, really appreciate that. You really have made a 9 yearold very happy.
    Also want to thank you all for such lovely comments, understand you are all busy people. Really appreciate it as does Leah.
    Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delight to interview Leah and heartening to know that a new generation of writers is on its way! It is also lovely to know that despite the general perception, young people do still read. They sometimes get a 'bad press' which is not at all deserved. Well done to Leah, she has a wonderful imagination and manages to capture her ideas on paper. It's perfect :)

      Delete