The Story So Far ...

Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Gamekeeper Turned Poacher? The Interviewer Interviewed ...

I was recently interviewed by Fiona McVie, who spends her life interviewing authors. I decided to turn the tables on her:


Hi my name is Fiona; I am a mum and granny.
I was born in Germany and now live in Scotland UK 

Hi Fiona, and welcome to the blog. What first gave you the idea of interviewing other authors and why does it appeal to you so much?
I started with a forum for readers and writers, when someone asked if I ever thought about interviewing authors I thought about it and thought it was a great idea, as I know I wanted to know more about a authors than what is written in a book - I wanted to find out why they started writing, as well as a little about their life and silly things, like what foods, colours etc they like. Some of the answers I have got back have been quite funny.
After speaking to some readers, they have said they love what I am doing - and finding more about the authors. They have also said they enjoy finding new books/authors to read, so I find I am helping the author get their name out there, and the reader to find new works to read.

Has there ever been a time when an author responded in a way that you didn't feel appropriate, or gave you any x-rated answers? 
No not really. I had one author send the wrong photos to me and got that sorted right away.
I do interview authors of erotica, but so far their answers have been clean and when they send a bit of their work its been ok to post as they know that some of my readers might be under 18, so they are careful.

I know that, like me, you had an unsettled childhood. Can you tell us a bit more about your early life, and whether it had any effects on you, for good or bad?
Because my dad was in the army until I was 12 we moved about a lot - Germany, Singapore etc, so I went to a lot of schools which was not fun as you have to change friends etc.
I was glad when we settled in Scotland. I found it hard to make friends though, so I found a love for books and still love reading. Even when my children came along I read at night, and read stories to them, and I am lucky they like being read to.

You are very busy interviewing authors and giving them a platform to discuss their work. Do you write? And if so, what do you write?
I write poems mostly for family and close friends. I also found writing poems helped with my depression many years ago.

You give very generously of your time, interviewing other writers. What do you like to read? Any favourite genres? 
I am lucky - I don’t have a favourite genre. As long as the story is well written then I am happy with it. I must say I do like a good horror or a good romance.

What do you like to do when you are not reading, writing or blogging?
I love going on long walks with my dog Fly and taking photos.



I also enjoy cooking and baking ... 
Spending time with family and friends ... 
I also like knitting and sewing ...

But I do read a lot.

My blog is www.authorsinterviews.wordpress.com Authors/writers who would like to be interviewed by me can email me at inspirationforum@hotmail.co.uk 

Find me at facebook

Thank you Fiona, for casting light on what it means to you to be an author interviewer and for your generous offer to invite yet more authors to contact you.

Below are some of Fiona's poems ~ I'm delighted that she allowed me to share what are very personal works:

First kiss

Here,
now.
Will it be tonight?
Here,
beneath the
smoky moonlight?
Will he?
Will I?
He smiles.
Oh my.
Oh.
My.


He leaves with a wink
and I wave goodbye.


Written in 1976


**********************


Hero


You are my hero, Dad
You're my secure foundation.
When I think of you, I'm filled with love
And fond appreciation.
You make me feel protected;
I'm sheltered by your care.
You're always my true friend; and Dad,
When I need you, you're always there.
You have a place of honor
Deep within my heart.
You've been my superhero, Dad,
Right from the very start.


Written in 1974


************************


My little angel above


My little angel above
My heart sinks when I think
That God took you away from me
At 12 hours old


He must have something special for you
As it is just the good he takes
And I know your dad
Will look after you up there


I know you are looking down on me
On your angel cloud
But it does not stop me
Being heartbroken


Written in 1980


4 comments:

  1. Wow what a gem. Thanks for turning the tables on Fiona. So interesting and informative. I went to lots of schools and lived in Germany (twice) and Singapore with my army family. Enjoyed your poems. Lots in common, reading, photography, walking...thanks for this Annie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane - yes, Germany and Singapore for me, too. I thought it would be nice to turn the spotlight round the other way for a change and Fiona certainly didn't disappoint. It was a pleasure to interview her :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for doing this Annie it was fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for agreeing to be my guest Fiona and thanks for your interesting answers :)

      Delete